All vehicles require maintenance in order to last long, however we’ve seen a lot of car owners not taking good care of their cars due to “not having time” or “couldn’t get around to it” which in the long run creates more problems and damages to the car, which evidently cost them more than they had anticipated. Here are the common car maintenance mistakes we always encounter:
1. Ignoring the Check Engine Light. It’s easy to ignore the check engine light. As soon as the light comes on we look around to see if the car is still operating fine and come to a conclusion of “I’ll take care of it soon”. You should find time to see your local mechanic as the earlier you take care of it which could save you’re a lot of money.
2. Not Checking your Tire Pressure. Not many people pay much attention to the tires as we always assume that everything is ok. Looks can be deceiving. Even when tires appear to be properly inflated, they could be low on air. It’s best to check your tire pressure regularly because you never know when it might be low, after all, the last thing you want is a flat tire and/or poor gas mileage.
3. Skipping Oil Changes. In most situations, we often change the car oil every 3,000 miles, with car engine technology, an average oil change can be replaced around 7.800 miles. If motor oil is left in an engine for too long, the oil will start to break down which leads to horrible deposits of sludge in your engine. The most common issue is that the parts in your engine will become too hot, which will slowly certain engine components to warp and wear out.
4. Not Inspecting the Brakes. This is one of the most important maintenance that will need attention right away. If they are worn down or not working properly, your vehicle becomes unsafe for you, your passengers, and cars on the road.
5. Using the Wrong Products on your Car. Most home glass cleaners use ammonia which over time will break down the heating element in your rear car windshield. The thin lines you typically see at the back of the car are designed to produce heat and assist with defrosting. It is much safer to use appropriate window cleaning products. You may not see it now, but you could be surprised to see the effect it has when Winter arrives.
We understand that life can get in the way of things that prevent us getting our cars checked but if you manage to find time to handle the issue right away. It will help save you time and money and avoid troubles being stuck on the side road. If you have any issues with your cars or questions, please feel free to get in contact with us at (978) 388-1288 today.