According to a survey by Cox Automotive, only 32% of consumers know the exact vehicle they want when they car shop, but 55% of the test drive only one vehicle. With technology increasingly growing, it should be imperative for any consumers who are looking to buy a car to test drive beforehand. So, what should I look out for when I test drive? We have you covered!
Tips for the test drive.
1. Research. Note down everything you need in your car and do your homework. Dig around on other consumer reviews and see if that will affect your choice of car. Maybe the car you were really hoping to buy may have many flaws.
2. Schedule an appointment with car dealers. Yes, car dealers. Not only will this help you test drive other cars available but a great way to excuse yourself when dealing with a dealership. Remember, you are just testing not buying!
3. Bring a friend. There’s nothing more tempting to buy something than going on your own, bringing a family member or a friend will keep you grounded. Sometimes we need another opinion and not just the car dealer.
4. Bring required documents. If you’re looking to test drive, you will need to bring a copy of your license. Bring two just in case, and don’t be afraid to ask the dealer for the documents back and destroy the copies. Identity theft is on the rise, don’t let this happen to you.
5. Ask questions while inspecting the car. There is no limit in asking questions, especially when checking around the car for scratches, rust, missing pieces, etc. Vehicles can be damaged during shipping so always be prepared for the unexpected.
6. Comfort and drive the car. Make the most of your drive and commute on the highway or bumpy roads whatever it takes to test the comfort of the car.